Backend Architect - Ruby on RailsAt Axiom Zen
- Full Time
- Full Remote (with restrictions)
Posted on July 1st
We're looking for a motivated Backend Architect to help us to evolve the ZenHub platform and scale it to hundreds of thousands of users, and shaping the future of project management for software teams around the world. Your objective would be to lead the members of the Infrastructure Team to solve performance, stability, scalability and technical debt challenges.
The ideal candidate has a mastery of the ins and outs of Ruby on Rails, strives to build solid architectures and write clean code, and collaborates with other engineers to continuously improve all aspects of the development process.
A little about us:
ZenHub is the leading team collaboration and project management suite built into GitHub and GitHub Enterprise. At ZenHub, every team member is charged with getting to know customers deeply, learning how to solve their toughest problems, and turning them into evangelists.
Our customers are smart cookies: some of the best teams at companies like Imgur, NASA, Microsoft, Docker, and Zenefits use ZenHub to stay in the zone. Ideal team members are technical enough to get their hands dirty and product-focused enough to help translate customer requests into product features.
What we'll accomplish together:
- Foster a culture of growth, innovation and ownership on the team.
- Architect new backend services to help ZenHub scale for the future.
- Solve challenging problems, such as caching and keeping up-to-date GitHub data.
- Contribute to the ideation, technical design, implementation, and testing of product features.
- Improve technical skills and share knowledge with the rest of the team.
- Adopt best practices in software development and refine our workflow.
- Identify ways our technical stack can improve, prioritize them with the team, and make them happen.
Our ideal candidate:
- Proven experience building backend applications in a fast-paced environment from the ground up.
- Quickly gains proficiency when exposed to unfamiliar technical patterns, systems, or languages.
- Has a strong ability to influence without requiring reporting authority. Identifies technical problems before they arise and executes plans to avoid them.
- Has expertise in designing and scaling web APIs and other backend services.
- Has proficiency with Ruby, NodeJS or other popular server-side programming languages.
- Has recent experience with Ruby on Rails, Express or other web frameworks.
- Has experience with PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Redis and other types of data-stores, and why they should and should not be used for a given problem.
- Has experience with designing and optimizing data models that are easy to understand and fast to query and update.
- Consistently stays on top of new backend trends, methodologies and best practices.
- Communicates well; works well with others to improve the product every day. Can collaborate with the marketing, product, frontend, and design teams to move the product forward.
Bonus points if you have the following:
- Experience building browser extensions or user scripts.
- Experience with deep third-party API integrations (eg. GitHub).
More about ZenHub:
Don’t sweat it if you don’t have everything listed in the role description. One of our values is “Growth Mindset”. If you have some of the qualities listed above, and are excited about the role and motivated to learn – we want to hear from you!
At ZenHub our people are the priority. We believe the more perspectives we embrace, the stronger our team. We recruit the best, and welcome people of all backgrounds regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or ability. With a focus on respect and a commitment to continuous learning, we’re building an inclusive culture that supports our team in doing their best work. We work hard to provide our full-time team members perks that make their lives better by offering:
Boundaryless working style. We want our team to work from wherever is best for them. Whether you prefer to work from the comfort of your home office or from our bright, spacious, and dog-friendly Zen-den, we support you. For those opting to wfh, we offer a generous monthly stipend to cover ongoing remote work expenses. If you opt to join us in-office, we’ll contribute to your commute expenses or bike maintenance.
A flexible vacation policy. We work hard and it’s important we take time to recharge. We have a flexible time off policy with no hard limit and encourage our team members to take a minimum of 3 weeks off per year.
A commitment to continued learning and development. We provide an annual professional development budget to use towards conferences, classes, books, and other opportunities to maintain and expand your skill set.
Fitness reimbursements. Stay fit with our monthly reimbursements for health-related benefits like gym memberships, fitness apps, and personal training.
Top-of-the-line equipment. In addition to receiving a company smartphone of your choice with a paid voice/data plan, every team member receives a generous annual new tech budget to try new gadgets, tools, and platforms.
Flexible parental leave policies. We understand the importance and demands of a growing family. In addition to state, provincial, and federal leave allowances, parents on our team have the ability to create flexible schedules or take days off when family needs to come first.
Social Connection. When it’s safe to gather again our team will have access to a shared collaboration space in Vancouver, but our team is focused on fostering strong relationships and an equitable experience no matter where in the world you’re working.
Check out our careers page to learn more about what other benefits we offer!
Want Ruby on Rails jobs delivered to your inbox?
Help us maintain and improve the quality of RailsGigs
Is this not a Ruby on Rails opportunity? Is there something wrong with the posting? Anything else you think we should know? We'd appreciate it if you'd tell us!