Senior Software Developer (Backend)At Brooklinen
- Full Time
- Partial Remote
Posted on September 22nd
We’re looking for an experienced backend developer to join the Brooklinen team in Dumbo, Brooklyn. As our first dedicated in-house backend developer, you’ll lead the conversations about how to best approach and solve a wide range of business opportunities and cross-functional feature requests.
The ideal candidate has strong experience building custom and private Shopify apps with Ruby On Rails and Node so that they can seamlessly take ownership of our existing suite of applications and shape future technical design strategies.
We are looking for someone that has a passion for writing beautiful code following modern software design patterns, and who’s excited to work on a close-knit team, sharing their vision through peer-review, constructive critique and close collaboration.
What you’ll do
- As a new role to the team, you’ll be able to implement the backend approach and architecture of a successful Shopify merchant
- Take ownership of our existing suite of Custom Shopify applications built in Ruby on Rails
- Build new Shopify apps to further strategize Brooklinen’s ecommerce experience
- Inform future technical design strategies: you’ll play a first-hand role in designing and deploying an exciting backlog of feature requests and cross-functional business ideas
- Work closely with our front-end developers who build and maintain our Shopify Theme
- Help guide functionality of existing and future integrations (turn the necessary dials when changes are made in Netsuite, for example)
- Lead and coordinate backend efforts across the team as our software development team grows and we add additional backend developers
We're looking for someone who brings
- 4+ years of relevant backend web development experience
- Expertise with Ruby on Rails and Node
- Excitement to solve complex e-commerce challenges on the Shopify platform
- Experience building custom and private Shopify Apps
- A critical eye for detail and yet understands that perfect is the enemy of good
- A penchant for clean, idiomatic code that's easy to read and maintain
- Comfortable building, documenting and QAing changes
- Level-headed and positive attitude under pressure
- Great interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to summarize complex ideas
- The vision to take a project and run with it, from proof of concept to shipping product
- It’s a plus if you have...
- Experience building and managing integrations from Shopify with a variety of technology platforms (ESPs, A/B testing platforms, ERP systems, etc)
- Experience with AWS serverless
- Experience with testing and integrating REST or GraphQL APIs
- Familiarity with Dokku on DigitalOcean droplets
Why join us?
- Our team is made up of friendly, funny, welcoming, low-ego, and passionate people -- who also happen to be great at what they do. We all know the people you work with can make or break a job and so we go to great lengths to protect this amazing culture.
- We work hard, but are well-rounded (and well-rested). Breaks to pet dogs and hang with coworkers are encouraged. So is taking vacation (we’ve got a $1k vacation bonus), getting out of here at a reasonable hour, Summer Fridays, and obviously getting a great night sleep (our day starts at 10am).
- Care about growth? So do we. We’re growing rapidly, so we’ve got tons of exciting growth opportunities for our amazingly talented team. Not the type of place where you wait for your boss to quit before you can get promoted. New projects and business needs pop up every single day, and we always look internally first.
- All the other stuff you’d expect - great benefits (with fully company-paid options), a 401k plan, 100% paid parental leave for ALL new parents, budget for learning and development, fun team outings, and much more.
Everyone is welcome at Brooklinen - we’re passionate about building a team that reflects the diversity of our community and creating an environment where our differences are celebrated. We invite you to take a look at how we’ve done so far and where we know we need to do better.
As a note, our team is currently remote and tentatively expected to return to office in November on an ongoing hybrid 3 day in/2 day remote schedule; this is not a permanent remote role.
At Brooklinen it’s our mission to bring comfort to all by delivering simple, beautiful, and high-quality home essentials at a fair price. We design our own luxury basics and bring them to you at brooklinen.com.
Since launching 2014, Brooklinen has obtained over 80,000+ 5-star reviews and been featured in Forbes, Vogue, Fortune, New York Magazine, GQ and more.
Want Ruby on Rails jobs delivered to your inbox?
Help us maintain and improve the quality of RailsGigs
Is this not a Ruby on Rails opportunity? Is there something wrong with the posting? Anything else you think we should know? We'd appreciate it if you'd tell us!