Senior Software Engineer (Remote)At charity: water
- Full Time
- Full Remote (with restrictions)
Posted on January 6th
Main areas of focus: Full-stack Web Development, Innovative coding, UI experience
Location: Remote - U.S. only.
Eligibility: charity: water is fully remote and hires from all 50 U.S. states. At this time, we are only considering candidates who are eligible to work in the United States without the need of company sponsorship now or in the future.
You’ll model thoughtful front-end and back-end development for the engineering team in the creation of innovative code.
As a Senior Software Engineer at charity: water, you'll develop products designed to help bring clean and safe drinking water to every person on the planet. Reporting to the VP of Engineering, you’ll play a crucial role in ensuring the efficiency of the engineering team. You’ll model innovation and the importance of documentation and processes while writing best in class code. As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll walk through detailed code reviews with the engineering team and strive to find the most effective solutions in a fast-paced and agile environment. You’ll work cross-departmentally to the achievement of a variety of organizational and departmental goals while also explaining the functions and capabilities of the engineering team.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR…
- Architecting, building, and maintaining our portfolio of products which include:
- Our online donation and fundraising platform
- A dashboard that tracks and manages data transmitted from sensors installed on our water projects in the field
- Systems that manage and visualize impact data from our water projects
- Being a subject matter expert in software architecture and best practices, guiding and teaching the larger engineering team
- Integrating user-facing Web applications into back-end office systems and processes and ensuring that teams feel assured in their utilizing back-end systems
- Mentoring other engineers through detailed code reviews
- Developing, maintaining, and modeling innovation, clear documentation, and process development while writing code
- Ensuring the smooth operation of all our systems
YOU MUST HAVE…
- 5+ years developing full-stack web applications in a fast-paced environment
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience
- A proficiency developing in web frameworks, such as Ruby or Rails or similar
- Worked with and integrated relational databases into workflows and processes
- Previously written well-tested software, and practice test-driven development
- Exceptional capabilities in caching at various levels of the stack to improve site performance
- Integrated with internal and third-party APIs
- An agile approach to software development and maintenance cycles
IT’S AN ADDED PLUS IF YOU HAVE…
- Proof of being a successful engineer working with ambiguity in a fast-moving organization
- Additional experience with Varnish or Fastly
- Integrated knowledge of React, SASS, Git, Varnish, and or Redis
- An inclination to problem solve and innovate
YOU’LL BE SUCCESSFUL IF...
You like getting things done, are disciplined about time management, and consider yourself a remover of obstacles.
You possess strong computer science fundamentals
You know which tools and data structures to use to deliver simple, yet high-performing solutions. You enjoy turning ideas into working code and are passionate about building scalable and reliable products with fulfilling user experience.
You're a problem solver
We find ways of getting it done at charity: water. We don't invest time on why it can't be done. You know how to articulate and roll out solutions, recognizing there are many solutions to the same problem. You find new and effective ways to streamline and create processes to increase efficiency.
You’re curious and collaborative
You learn from and contribute to your team through means of code reviews, technical team discussions, and pairing.
You execute for quality
You recognize the value of testable and maintainable code and strive to follow best practices to improve the quality of the codebase.
You're an excellent communicator
You can clearly convey how your solutions will work to address the issues the team faces. You can patiently explain complex concepts or code to a technical or non-technical audience.
The Engineering team is made up of problem-solvers committed to collaborating well and delivering the highest quality code. They are crucial to the success of our main fundraising platforms and the heartbeat behind the software that makes our work possible. Using our base tech stack Rails, React, and Postgres, they enable us to spread generosity to end the world water crisis.
At charity: water, we believe that water changes everything. We work with local implementing partners to fund sustainable solutions that provide clean and safe drinking water in developing countries. Since 2006, with a diverse team of world-changers and an unstoppable community of supporters, we’ve brought clean water to more than 12 million people worldwide. With the makings of a mid-size tech startup, we’re reinventing charity through endless innovation, contagious passion, beautifully crafted stories, and a powerful brand that inspires a new kind of generosity.
At charity: water, we value every background, identity, and experience. We believe that a diverse team, informed by different cultures and perspectives, makes us stronger. We are committed to doing the work and challenging each other to be an organization in which everyone is respected and heard. We commit to providing genuine opportunities for all people to thrive. And we will continue to embed diversity, inclusion, belonging, and equality in everything we do.
Want Ruby on Rails jobs delivered to your inbox?
Help us maintain and improve the quality of RailsGigs
Is this not a Ruby on Rails opportunity? Is there something wrong with the posting? Anything else you think we should know? We'd appreciate it if you'd tell us!