Senior Software EngineerAt Flexport
- Full Time
Posted on September 21st
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
Freight Forwarding Engineering
The Freight Forwarding Operations engineering group is responsible for creating products and workflows that enable us to effectively plan and execute shipments across the various modes: Ocean, Air, Trucking, Rail. We work closely with our product and data team to solve complex optimization problems around container utilization and route planning to make sure we are able to fulfill the promised transit times while utilizing our supply efficiently. The team is also building products to simplify the operations of Flexport and partner teams as they move cargo across the world.
High-quality software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of making global trade easier for everyone. At Flexport you’ll develop systems that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries.
- Work closely with business partners and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Take point on complex product initiatives and run them to completion with minimal supervision.
- Design flexible, maintainable code
- Safeguard code quality on your team, reviewing others’ code with an eye to performance and maintainability.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to execute against the vision and roadmap
- Work closely with designers and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Be part of a close-knit engineering team that ships new code into production multiple times a day.
- Geek out about shipping and logistics. (We do this often.)
You should have:
- 5+ years of experience writing software and strong engineering background.
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, designers, and engineers alike.
- Understanding of performance tradeoffs, load balancing and operational issues.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering skill-sets.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing, and operations.
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience.
- Non-optional: an aptitude for learning quickly.
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app. We have introduced a few network isolated services using other languages, such as Java and Clojure. Our data is persisted in Postgres and Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker.
Want Ruby on Rails jobs delivered to your inbox?
Help us maintain and improve the quality of RailsGigs
Is this not a Ruby on Rails opportunity? Is there something wrong with the posting? Anything else you think we should know? We'd appreciate it if you'd tell us!