Senior Full Stack Software EngineerAt Glowforge
- Full Time
Posted on May 6th
At Glowforge, we help people bring home the future and make it their own. Our printer uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. Take a look and see for yourself.
We build magical products to delight our customers, and we do it while taking care of each other. We hire people who are outstanding at what they do, who thrive in tight-knit teams, and who want to make things that make a difference.
Together, we've built a product we're incredibly proud of, and the reward has been incredible growth. We work together because we believe in the power of creativity. We believe we can bring about a future where anyone can print anything.
We'd love to have you join us.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this wonderful city.
Why We Need You
One of the unusual things about the Glowforge architecture is that we moved many engineering problems from hardware to software. Our cloud service does the heavy lifting for features like alignment and autofocus. It also makes it dead easy to diagram, draw, or doodle your invention and print it directly to wood, acrylic, fabric, leather, or paper.
Our software is the heart of our business, and we need you to make it successful. We want your passion and thoughtfulness around our end-to-end web stack. We’ll ask you to tackle problems at every layer of that stack, from the web UI to the services that drive the hardware, and spread your knowledge and experience through an organization that is eager to learn.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
- First and foremost, any task that helps us build outstanding experiences for our customers — which will include stretching your coding skills in and pitching in when your colleagues need help.
- Work on a tightly knit team of product managers, designers, and engineers to build and extend new lines of business. You’ll help the team iterate on product plans, translate them to architecture and implementation plans, and then get to work shipping the backend services and APIs! Sometimes all on the same day.
- Partner with frontend specialists to implement full-stack features that help our customers get the most out of their Glowforge.
You need these qualifications
- You have 5 years of professional experience in developing full stack web applications, and a relevant 4-year degree or equivalent experience
- You write copious amounts of thoughtful, high-quality code. And you wouldn’t dream of shipping it without a test.
- You’ve shipped a web product that people love.
- You know Ruby on Rails well and have some experience with at least two of Node, serverless functions, or isomorphic code.
- You handle the details of things like HTTP caching, load balancing, proxies, monitoring and alerting, and unspeakable things (like CORS).
- You love that your work is highly impactful and critical to our success.
- You’re passionate about writing great software… and know that you sometimes have to make tradeoffs to ship quickly!
It would be nice if…
- You are familiar with Google Cloud Platform.
- You’ve worked with Kubernetes and Terraform.
- Have experience with WebAssembly.
Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a LinkedIn profile or GitHub account is fine. We can’t wait to meet you.
There's one more, very important thing. We are an equal opportunity employer. We search for amazing people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We take care of each other to create an inclusive work environment where we love to come to work every day. We'd be happy to provide reasonable accommodations to help you apply - just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope you can join us.
Want Ruby on Rails jobs delivered to your inbox?
Help us maintain and improve the quality of RailsGigs
Is this not a Ruby on Rails opportunity? Is there something wrong with the posting? Anything else you think we should know? We'd appreciate it if you'd tell us!