Senior Rails Software Engineer, Product DiscoveryAt Tuft & Needle
- Full Time
- Full Remote
Posted on June 14th
In 2012, Tuft & Needle (tn.com) revolutionized the mattress space by turning the focus to the customer with always-honest pricing, an insistence on high-quality products, and world-class customer experience. We started our journey with two software engineers and a dream and today we have grown to a team of more than 175 talented people, working each day to bring the world premium sleep products at an honest cost.
Together, we are radically reshaping how we think about sleep, mattresses, and shopping - and we’re just getting started. Want to join us?
From inception to production, Tuft & Needle software engineers are fully invested in the solutions we build. At T&N, you will be working in an environment consisting primarily of React, SCSS, Ruby, Rails, and Postgres, and deployed to Heroku and Vercel. We use Buildkite and Cypress for continuous integration and believe strongly in continuous deployment. We collaborate across quality engineering, platform engineering, and product engineering. We are regularly evaluating improvements to our architecture and our stack. We believe in leveraging quality APIs and tools. Together with stakeholders across the organization you will have the opportunity to impact how our millions of customers, connect, explore and interact with our products every day.
- Be a domain leader in changing software while considering all elements of successful launch and use
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve software
- Take opportunities to mentor and guide newer engineers on the path
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables
- Leads initiatives & meetings within team and domain. Regularly leads multi-person, multi-week projects.
- Collaborate with peers to level up skill sets and code quality across your domain team
- Work closely with other teams to solve cross-functional problems and create compelling experiences for both internal and external users.
- Work closely with principal engineers to ensure all projects align with ongoing broad, cross-cutting infrastructure projects.
- Participate in all phases of the software development lifecycle
- Verify code functionality by unit testing and debugging during development and QA cycles
- Adopt agile methodologies to continuously release and deploy iterations of our services
- Develop soft skills and user-focused, team-first approach to software development
- Improve quality of the product, validation, testing and provide applications support.
- Takes on highly complex software challenges.
- Avoids monolithic deliverables and breaks down complex tasks quickly.
- Cross-geo collaboration with engineering team members across Tuft & Needle.
- Participation as well as driving design reviews and customer requirements.
- Closely partnering with projects, project managers and developers on application definition, design, development, integration, testing and support of reliable and reusable software solutions.
- Work with team members to provide insight into solving complex problems with middleware while leveraging enterprise and industry best practices (including scalability, availability, maintainability, and flexibility).
- Estimates methodically, based on iterative learning. Sets realistic deadlines that drive effort and support healthy work habits. Cuts scope as needed, mitigating risk by shipping frequently
- Actively listen to and cooperatively work with other internal team members in order to contribute positively to updates and changes to the application.
- Act as an escalation point for application support and troubleshooting.
- Assure quality, security and compliance requirements are met.
- 3+ years of experience working in a tech environment similar to what's described above
- Proficiency with Ruby on Rails and GraphQL
- Experience with building eCommerce applications.
- Passion for Test Driven Development. We use RSpec, Cucumber, Jest, and Cypress
YOU'LL SLEEP WELL WHEN YOU WORK WITH US
Our people You'll work with some of the most talented, supportive, and savvy individuals out there. We're very proud to work with each other. We're shaking up the mattress industry and delivering an experience for clients they would never expect. And we’re proud of that too!
Our product Each team member receives a great bundle of products for themselves. You will too if you join the team! Your friends and family will also have access to a great product discount.
Our benefits We offer comprehensive health benefits for you, eligible partners and dependents. We have paid maternity & paternity leave, 401k with a match, a generous vacation plan, and so much more.
Want Ruby on Rails jobs delivered to your inbox?
Help us maintain and improve the quality of RailsGigs
Is this not a Ruby on Rails opportunity? Is there something wrong with the posting? Anything else you think we should know? We'd appreciate it if you'd tell us!